Skip to main content

The Maestro and the Orchestra

It has been only a couple of months since the first grandchild was born in the family, but I am sure it has felt like an eternity for the newly minted parents.

Even before the inaugural date of conception, the work of raising a human being was already in full gear. Getting through nine months of enabling a healthy foetus to flourish is no walk in the park. It was not just one person’s lifestyle and dietary habits that had to shift - overnight, if you have to be rid of bubble tea and late-night nibbles after an intense day, that is simply another hurdle to jump over.

Most significantly, it was about what the bystanders could do. You learn very early on, once your adult children hit their twenties, that they are their own person - and so as a to-be granny, the first thing one does is to seal thy lips and just listen.

Listening and observing are both very formidable skills. They make caregivers of any generation emotionally attuned to their recipients of care.

Some memories still linger: posting a link about men’s mental health, to increase awareness that a new father and husband also needed attention; sharing an excerpt from Caring for Your Baby and Child on the family chat so that everyone was on the same page for infant development; purchasing a few books for self-education and guidance, used by a family of multigenerational carers.

Best ‘picture’ book (uses less brain width which one will need for 101 other things going on)


Narrowed to just one authoritative book on childcare and birth to age 5 development for the adult parents and me. It is written clearly and a reassuring and friendly manner which will encourage new parents. Really appreciated the informative index of early childhood symptoms located behind the book

I used this when I did not know how to cook as a newly minted mother. Many years on, I still feel this is a great book for our Singaporean culture for those preparing to transition the baby to solids. Specific measurements are given in the recipes and this supports new parents

The array of recipes is truly ‘masak-masak’  and reflects our local culture in Singapore. It helps that it contains the favourite foods of modern parents. If they are ‘hands-on’, they can use this book to begin preparing simple meals. Meal planning and prepping organically from home increases a heightened appreciation of food and culture.

During this period, I felt like a maestro conducting an orchestra - pacing, directing, drawing attention to depleted reserves, and watching everyone play in synchrony.

I am just glad we got this far, with the little one being healthy, smiley, and farting a lot. It is a joy to be part of a journey of raising future carers.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shepherd's Pie Recipe (Life Review)

  Every year, when September rounds the corner, thoughts of Christmas and Chinese New Year preps loom near. Anticipating the coordinated arrangements that will be needed, some preliminary preps begin. I try to prep ahead so that I don’t get all stressed out at year-end. It is a great time after all to sit back in awe and enjoy the festivities all around the world (the Internet is best for this!) Christmas beckons first ~ I have all the usual recipes tucked away in my blog and easily retrieved on the app Pinterest (which also makes it easy for my family to access). The recipe I am ‘reviewing’ is the Shepherd’s Pie. Do you ever wonder why one flinches when another says a particular dish is ‘so easy to do’? I’ve realised that saying a dish “is easy to do” is only ‘so easy to do’ when one has cooked it several times until it becomes ‘automatic’, a bit like preparing for a standard exam when one rehearses the practice of previous years’ exam papers within the given time. Yeah, that sort...

Coping With Bedtime Routines

  An article contributed for Calvary Community Care (C3) ‘Read With Me’ Literacy Campaign When the children were preschoolers, I incorporated reading aloud or hearing stories read aloud as part of the children’s bedtime regime which assisted with ‘bedtime challenges’. Routines and schedules always help with a child’s emotional development because when the routine kicks in, the child living in an ‘adult world’ knows what to anticipate in the whirlwind world of adult life. Admittedly, I never liked reading a storybook to my own children more than once – parents will know a child will ask you to read a book again and again because for some reason the content resonates with them and they want to continue learning about themselves and about the world from the book. So I substituted in other ways. During that time, we had a domestic helper who was good with children and would read the whole book in my place. My children liked her and looked forward to her reading with them. Or I put on a...